Cynthiana/Harrison County was once a flourishing community with several well know bourbon distilleries. One of which was the Van-Hook Old Fashioned Fire Copper Whiskey Distillery. It was built by Peck, Vanhook & Co. in 1868, destroyed by fire in 1869, but was rebuilt in the same year.
By 1882, it had a capacity of 300 bushels per day and produced 3,000 barrels annually, with 6,000 barrels held in bond. The size of the distillery was 35 x 55 feet and rose three floors. Three brick warehouses with a capacity of 7,500 barrels could be found on the grounds, housing L. Vanhook & Co., pure Bourbon. A cooper shop attached to the still turned out 4,000 barrels per annum. Waste from the mash fed 150 cattle and 400 hogs. Shipments from the warehouses were made via the Kentucky Central Railroad from Cynthiana.
In the 1880s, the distillery was sold to T J Megibben, who then sold it in 1888 to his son-in-law, Felix S Ashbrook.key Distillery.
Commemorate the history of our community with this limited edition oatmeal colored, tri blend, unisex t shirt with the original label from the Van-Hook Distillery.
This is the first shirt in a series of four.
All Proceeds will go towards the development of a historical bourbon distillery trail in Cynthiana and Harrison County with markers and a map to increase tourism.
Shirts are $25.00 plus tax.
Address:141 East Pike St. Suite 3 Cynthiana Ky 41031